Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Master's Week from my point of view....

I am quite obsessed with sporting events. The people. The attire. The stuff being sold. Scalpers. Fingers in the air. Concession Food. Ticket stubs. Lines to get in. Obsessed. And we now live 0.3 miles from the main entrance of the #1 golf course in the world and the most prestigious golf tournament in the world has commenced this week.

(Disclaimer: I guess I can say I play golf. I own clubs and play regularly with Ryan. Not good at all... several sloppy swings later and there is a tricky little white ball still on the tee. I rarely even write a score down...the boys in my family supportingly put smiley faces or frowny faces in the place of better scores of 3, 4, and 5s. The closest I've ever come to a tournament is on weekends when I was the cart girl at my local country club. Please know this as you evaluate my experiences.)

I drive by Augusta National pretty much every day to go to Kroger, CVS, Chickfila, and our regular Mexican joint. I always look at the main entrance of Augusta National. Always. Not only do I always look down the tree-lined drive to see the pretty yellow flowers and white clubhouse, but I also crane my neck while driving down Washington Road to look through the thick bushes to see any glimpse of the course. I've been doing this same routine since August. I thought winter's leafless trees would allow the course to present herself; however, I learned that Bamboo does not shed its leaves in freezing temperatures and the course will forever remain veiled to lookyloos like me. How many car accidents have I almost been in during this daily ritual of mine? And why is it that because this course is so exclusive do I care all the more about seeing it? The elusiveness is addictive.

Its been so much fun to watch tournament preparations unfold these past few months. Buildings that sat empty since August are now filled. Large fields that only held grass are now teeming with large SUVs and Buicks. In one week, I saw the grounds crew fill in an entire parking lot with dirt, sod, a walkway, and mature plants just so members of the Double Eagle Club (still trying to figure out what this is) could have a peaceful walk before they entered the main gate. I've given updates and theories to Ryan of what "went up" this week or what this building on Washington Road will probably be used for come Master's week. As of late, when I hear a loud car drive by our house I would exclaim "It's Phil! He's here!" (This became increasingly funny, especially when motorcycles and school buses would pass.) I figured Ryan has to drive in the completely opposite direction to work everyday so I am doing him a service by keeping him so well informed :)

Okay, so this week is the week I've been waiting for. Two things to remember: I am a stay at home mom so not too much interesting stuff happens here and we live right off of Washington Road. Monday morning arrives and at 7:00 am, there is bumper to bumper traffic outside our house. This is exciting! There are two preppy scalpers at the corner trying to pursuade potential buyers/sellers. I was told by locals to already buy groceries and to not venture out at all on threat of death by traffic. This is so discouraging for me as a stay at home mom who enjoys her daily trips outside into the real world. As I stare at the traffic through my house window, I realize this is the closest I will get to seeing the action. I certainly can't take a right and head into the unpredictable, glorious mess with my child. All my errands must be safely completed by reluctantly taking a left, away from Augusta National.

So today I'm sitting at my usual stop sign. Take a left and go to a far away CVS or take a right and risk hours of traffic just to go to the CVS at the corner of Berkman's and Washington...the epicenter of Master's week. I think for a minute....hmmm....I have a bottle and formula and snacks....its only three oclock, people haven't started leaving yet...I'm never going to see anything unless I go now...Lydia and I are set for whatever Washington Road has for us. So, I take a right.

Wow. Unbelieveable. Hardly any traffic, but people in polos and shorts everywhere. They are selling everything as I drive past the crowds: badge holders, framed memorabilia, golfwear, water, lemonade, bags, Jaguars, Range Rovers, local honey and chili sauce. At the time, I actually wanted more traffic so I could just sit and stare at people. About 6 sherrifs were at the main gate as expected. The yellow flowers looked even more yellow today...for the 0.4 second I saw them while driving by. Man, why can't there be even a little traffic. To my right in a parking lot I see several "mini Semi trucks". Ryan told me about these things! They are Golf's version of Nascar pit crew. In this traveling garage they can make any club in about 15 minutes and have it in a player's hands at the practice range in moments. Extraordinary. Tents on corners here, coolers with refreshments there. Fascinating.

It took about 1 minute to drive past everything. Thinking about it now, I forgot to even stop at the CVS to get the original intended items. I turned around and drove by again. I tried to take some pictures with my phone at stop lights. Here are the only shots I got.


this is the bush 10 feet from the main entrance...dang iphone camera delay!


these are those mini garage trucks



this is the one red light I sat at


I am ashamed for taking pictures while driving. This is not good and I realize I was driving with my daughter.

However, I am not ashamed for taking a right :)


No comments:

Post a Comment